Tuesday, April 17, 2012

During and After Comprehension Mini Lesson #2



Reading Lesson Plan # 2 Comprehension Strategies

Rationale: My MT pointed out the students (George and Wilma) that needed extra attention in comprehension, specifically for when they are reading silently to themselves and have to answer questions afterwards.
Objective for this lesson (performance, condition, criteria): Students will learn about and utilize during- and after- reading comprehension strategies including: considering text organization, summarizing the text, checking understanding, and using fix up strategies.
Materials & supplies needed: Maniac Magee. Copies of specific chapters they will read so they can both read at the same time. Pens/pencils and paper. Neufeld article.

Procedures and approximate time allocated for each event 

Introduction to the lesson  (3 minutes) 
·       Who remembers what we talked about last week? Yes, before-reading strategies. Can you tell me some of those strategies? Well, we are going to add to those this time and take things one more step.
·       When you are reading (or during) there are a few more things that you can be thinking about that will keep your mind working toward comprehension.
·       We are also going to talk about a few more ways that will help you comprehend a story or your science textbook after you are done reading. I have seen you already use some of these summarizing techniques in your classroom. Can you explain some of the ways you have done this already? Is it the same or different for when you read literature in reading time to when you are reading for say, science or social studies?
·       After doing this, you will hopefully have a better idea at how to approach various texts that you read in the future.

OUTLINE of key events during the lesson (15 minutes)
·       Just as it is so important to ask yourself questions before you start to read, it is equally important to ask questions while you are reading and after you are finished that will better help you remember what you have just read. What are some things you do now?
·       Consider text organization: Do I see any keywords associated with specific text structures? How is the text organized (enumeration, time order, compare and contrast, cause and effect, problem/solution)?
·       Summarize the text: Oral/written- stop and restate main ideas/points in your own words orally or in writing. Create a visual organizer that captures both the organization of the text and the main points or ideas.
·       Check your understanding: Is what I just read clear to me? Do I “get it”? What about the text is still fuzzy or unclear? Can I answer who, what, when, where, and why questions about the text?
·       Use fix-up strategies: what strategies could I use to help me better understand what I am reading? Reread part or all of the text, look ahead in the text, examine other resources on this topic, or seek help from another person (peer, teacher, parent).
·       Read the first chapter of Maniac Magee to model how to use these strategies. Think out loud to demonstrate how they will use these strategies.
·       Some guided practice: Go through each question of the strategy and have students come up with answers for the next chapter of Maniac Magee and from the science book.
·       Make a character web of Maniac using context clues. Also have them summarize the chapter after they draw a picture.

Closing summary for the lesson (2 minutes)
·       Do you think you could remember some of these questions for the next time that you are reading?
·       Keep these strategies in mind because they apply to ANY class subject or when you are reading on your own at home. You will constantly use these strategies… I still use them today in college!! They are that important and worthwhile to practice and master.
·       I will take your papers right now to look over how well you were able to use our before reading strategies!

Ongoing-Assessment: While students are working through the guided reading, I will have them write up answers to each question, or I will just take notes on what they say. Also, I plan to take notes on their participation during the mini lesson to gauge how well they are understanding the lesson and how they perform during guided reading. I can also follow up with my MT to see if they have shown any improvement with their comprehension, although I think they will benefit even more from the lesson next week.

Adaptations: Based on what you know about your focus students, what Academic, Social and/or Linguistic Support will be needed during the lesson?
George will definitely require extra support during this mini lesson. He often has trouble in finishing homework assignments that require comprehension in any subject matter. I often have to go off into another room in the school to work one-on-one with him to provide extra help and remind him to stay focused. Since I have a history of working with him, our established rapport will have a positive impact on his participation. He may not be able to write out his answers during guided reading, so I might have to do that for him. George may also need extra support when he is reading on his own, which I often give my moving my finger along the words as he reads them.
Wilma has a lot of energy and often rushes through her readings and assignments so that she does not fully comprehend anything. For her, I will need to remind her to slow down and that it is not a race- that the important thing is for her to remember the strategies and use them in the future. She will not have any problem writing down her answers or reading either text silently.

No comments:

Post a Comment