Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Numeracy and the Prezi


Upon reading over the definitions of literacy posted by my classmates, I was struck by the large number of commonalities that existed between them and my own understanding of numeracy. Most significantly was in understanding that literacy and numeracy include several different concepts. According to the Crowther Report, “numeracy should represent the mirror image of literacy”. For example, just as literacy is not simply defined as reading and writing, numeracy is not just an understanding of numbers. It is much more than that. While numeracy does require knowledge of numbers and how they work, it also encompasses knowledge of how to use numbers to solve “school” and everyday mathematical problems. The What Does It Mean For School Mathematics article stated, “Analogously considering mathematics as a language implies that students not only learn the concepts and procedures of mathematics (its design features), but they must learn to use such ideas to solve non-routine problems and learn to mathematize (how to use/do math) in variety of situations (its social functions)”. The article furthered this idea by providing more details: “Learning to mathematize occurs as a consequence of building on prior knowledge via purposeful engagement in activities and by discourse with other students and teachers in the classroom”. I really liked how this definition was worded and how it tied the ideas of numeracy to that of literacy. This is a definition is really easy to understand and would be a good one to show students if you were planning to explain the concept of numeracy to students.

Also being able to verbally express your understanding of mathematical concepts and explanations is a social aspect of numeracy that is equally important. The New South Whales Education Department had an excellent example of a few of these ideas: “a numerate person should understand some of the ways mathematics can be used for communication, and this required the possession of two attributes: 
      being 'at-ease' with all those aspects of mathematics that enable a person to cope with the practical demands of everyday life
      the ability to understand information presented in mathematical terms”.
I really liked this definition in that it commented on how numeracy also involves communication. Many people forget about the social aspect of math, but since it is a key component of numeracy, it is important to consider. This is something that students in my placement seem to have a lot of trouble with. They will guess the correct answer, but when I prod them for further explanation they fall silent.  Since being able to communicate is an important part of numeracy, this is something that I would focus on in my future classroom.

             This was actually something that I had to be reminded of as I was researching numeracy. As a math major, I sometimes take for granted being able to verbally articulate my reasoning behind a certain mathematical topic. I forget that mathematics is not as easy for other people as it is for myself. Reflecting on how I have watched my students struggle in their attempts to explain their understanding, I am reminded that numeracy also involves being able to communicate your ideas, not just correctly solving a problem. This idea of numeracy as a means of communication is definitely a reflection of regular definitions of literacy. Being able to communicate your thoughts and ideas through various means is a foundation for all types of literacy.

Along with this idea of communication, I learned a great deal of mathematical literate discourse and how that relates to the definitions of numeracy. The article about this topic from the Wiki highlighted how this has to be something specifically taught to students. They must be shown the differences between everyday discourse and literate discourse that takes place in the classroom. It is during these times that teachers can emphasize proper discourse, especially about abstract ideas and concepts that will encourage students to become more complete in their mathematical prowess and thus be able to solve a much wider range of problems. The article stated, “to be regarded as mathematically literate, a person has to know both the “how” and the “when” of this discourse, that is, has to be able to use this discourse not only when the initiative comes from others, but also on her own accord, in any situation in which this discourse can be helpful”. Numeracy is all about having a well-rounded repertoire of problem solving skills, which can be used quickly and efficiently at the correct time. Likewise, the article goes on to say, “the more abstract the literate mathematical discourse, the greater its potential as a widely generalizable problem-solving tool”. How true and how I cannot wait to try this in my own classroom.

Another idea that was presented in my research, which also connects to the other definitions of literacy, included the benefits of using technology to increase mathematical literacy. “New technology allows for greater possibility for creating an engaging instructional environment that will promote mathematical literacy for all students”. How can we take advantage of this? Answer: in countless ways, for example the PREZI (I will get to that later). Using technology is a great way for students to learn and practice numeracy, and there are several online tools designed to help teach students this exact concept. Just like the other literacies, the definition of numeracy is constantly changing thanks to the ever-changing world of technology. It is time to start using these “new technologies” to better understand literacy. This is something that the students in my placement are somewhat familiar with. They do have opportunities when they can use computers during math, but mainly for them to take various placement tests and not to further their understanding of math.

I found a great quote that really sums up numeracy: “A mathematically literate person can thus be thought of as endowed with a toolkit that allows her to deal successfully with a wide spectrum of situations, including those she had never encountered before”.


Prezis are probably the coolest thing I have come across in a very long time. As an online, interactive, visually dynamic, and overall entertaining poster board, the prezi is an amazing tool for teachers and students alike. There are practically no limits on the amount of things you can do with them. I especially like how they can be opened to multiple users so that several different people can contribute to the finished product from virtually anywhere. Textboxes, shapes, charts, graphs, pictures, videos, and much more are all easily embedded onto the prezi board. The movement of the prezi itself brings each of the items listed above to life in an engaging manner. From experimenting with them already, I have definitely noticed that the prezi changes the way you read, write, listen, and view information.

 The biggest challenge thus far has just been familiarizing myself to the program and exploring the wide variety of options available. The prezi has so much to offer that it is very overwhelming at first. I had to make a few personal boards just to see how the different facets of the prezi work together to create the final product.

 I think that the prezi will be a unique twist on numeracy since most people would not consider an online presentation as a means of explaining mathematical literacy. However, with the tools available on the prezi, such as the ability to use shapes, graphs, and text, I feel as if it is already set up to be used as an additional instrument in shaping understanding of math. It will definitely be a challenge to decide how exactly to approach the math topic of our choice and how many details to incorporate. Also, as designers, since we choose the direction of the mathematical explanation, we may miss different ways that students might approach a typical project, which may lead to misunderstandings or gaps in students’ understanding. I think that a prezi could be most beneficial if it was used to introduce a topic or walk through the steps of how to solve a specific problem.

   Using a prezi to introduce a math topic would be similar to what students would see in print materials, such as their math textbook. Several examples and step-by-step procedures of how to solve problems would appear in both. The difference would be in the more exciting presentation of the prezi, which would be new and thus automatically more interesting than a textbook. The biggest issue with using a prezi with students would be the novelty of the technology, including the confusing set up and million options. Students would nee a lot of scaffolding and practice with the prezi before they would be able to create individual/ group presentations. If they were simply viewing the prezi for the first time, multiple views would be necessary in order for them to catch all the details presented on the board. If the students were very young, it might be beneficial to ease them into the prezi, perhaps by first introducing them to power point slides and then progressively move into the fast paced and more interactive world of the prezi.

      I am truly excited to use the prezi to try and explain numeracy. Students are often turned off to mathematics as being boring and grounded in rote memorization of facts and rules. Using the prezi would present math in a new way that would encourage students approach math differently as well. If students were to design a prezi in pairs or groups, collaboration and literate mathematical discourse would ensue as students worked together to talk through strategies as they were put onto the prezi. Giving students an abstract or multi-part problem would contribute to a growth in their overall problem solving skills as they explored several different ways to explain a given math topic. I hope that in completing this new literacies assignment I will not only learn a new technology that will become a great tool to my future teaching, but I will also gain a deeper understanding on what it means to be literate, especially as it pertains to numeracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment